Saturday, April 5, 2008

My continued love affair with Southport Grocery and Cafe


I've mentioned a handful of times already (or maybe just a couple) the vanilla cupcakes at Southport Grocery and Cafe. I think everyone that I know (who likes plain vanilla cupcakes) has proclaimed them the best if not one of the best cupcakes that they have ever had. To quote our florist "I thought my grandmother made the best frosting ever and no one has ever come close. So I was doubtful when someone said this place has the best frosting. But now I stand corrected. Southport Grocery really does have the best buttercream frosting." 

Well, as much as I love cupcakes, one cannot exist on cupcakes alone.... We need real food... like hamburgers. And guess what? Southport Grocery has amazing hamburgers as well. They have fresh thick juicy patties that are molded perfectly with a firm but not too firm hand, seasoned perfectly without much filler. I love their burger buns too, which are not the standard burger buns, with great texture and flavor. And topped with caramelized onions, blue cheese (or Chipotle cheddar), and sour cream. Yum, yum and yum!

We can never have a meal there without ordering one of these burgers and they never fail to satisfy my hunger or my tastebuds. And you know what? They are even tasty as leftovers the next day, as I just found out.


(my photo of my leftover Southport Grocery and Cafe burger - still looks good!)

Southport grocery and cafe
3552 N Southport
Chicago, IL
(773)665-0100

PS. I feel like a walking PR machine for this place. Maybe I should demand some payment in the form of cupcakes?

No comments: